Ok, so I continued again holding down "c" the whole time, it continued in a 
cycle of restarting, reading the disc, attempting to boot, black screen then 
repeat again. For 10 minutes + this continued.

So I proceeded with the "option" key option. It came up with the MacBook HD and 
the DW disc as available options. I selected DW and near 30 mins later, grey 
screen and spinning thing. Will leave it going.

Regards

Pete

On 18/01/2013, at 9:38 AM, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok Severin thanks.
> Peter, you need to hold the "C" key down until the computer boots into 
> DiskWarrior.
> Note: this may take a long time over 10 Mins. 
> 
> If you still can't boot from the DW disc try holding down the Option key.
> 
> Hold the option key down until you see the boot menu. 
> The boot process should happen almost immediately. 
> When this boots, wait for the spinning wheel to stop spinning, then select 
> the CD drive title ("DiskWarriorCD") and then click the right arrow ("->") to 
> continue loading the CD.
> 
> Note: this option will be faster to boot, but takes longer once the CD is 
> chosen from the menu.
> In addition to the option key being the faster boot process, it also allows 
> you to see fairly immediately whether the computer's hard drive (usually 
> named "Macintosh HD") is viewable.
> 
> Cheers,
> Ronni
> 
> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
> 
> On 18/01/2013, at 9:22 AM, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> I sent two disks, one was 4.1 specifically for Leopard and one was 4.2 
>> specifically for Snow Leopard.  
>> Severin Crisp
>> 
>> On 18/01/2013, at 9:15 AM, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>>> Hi Peter,
>>> 
>>> I believe that DiskWarrior 4.2 is for Snow Leopard.
>>> You will need DiskWarrior 4.1 for Leopard.
>>> 
>>> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>>> 
>>> On 18/01/2013, at 9:01 AM, Peter Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Ok, so my Dad kindly sent me Disc Warrior (for Leopard and Snow Leopard) 
>>>> and I put it in and did a restart whilst holding "c". The DVD drive spun 
>>>> indicating it was booting from the DW disc. I left it all night last night 
>>>> and this morning still grey screen but with Apple icon and the spinning 
>>>> spinner thing.
>>>> 
>>>> I will eject this disc and try with the OS disc to see if that gets 
>>>> anywhere.
>>>> 
>>>> I think it's cactus.
>>>> 
>>>> Regards
>>>> 
>>>> Pete
>>>> 
>>>> On 13/01/2013, at 4:26 PM, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> Hi Peter & Susan,
>>>>> 
>>>>> I'm having a break from WAMUG.... but in this instance... I felt I should 
>>>>> contribute.
>>>>> 
>>>>> On startup a Circle/Slash (Prohibitory Sign) means your Mac can’t find a 
>>>>> valid Startup Disk.  
>>>>> 
>>>>> This can indicate a corrupt installation of Mac OS X or a failed (or 
>>>>> failing) hard drive.
>>>>> 
>>>>> A pass through the excellent DiskWarrior utility is highly recommended
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>