Hello Rosemary,

Both these applications should not be using that amount of CPU when they are
not doing anything. I did ask before if you were using any plugins that might
be causing a conflict.

From what I can find out about Picasa... Picasa is very busy when you start
Picasa as it automatically begins a scan of your entire hard drive to locate
any new photos that haven't been catalogued yet. Also if you have Face
Detection on, its going to continually scan every image you already catalogued
looking for faces, trying to find a match, and then tagging them with names.

But if iPhoto & Picasa use more than 50% CPU for hours on end, something is
probably wrong with your system. Could be constant I/O errors from a defective
hard drive.
Is your  New MacBook Pro still under Warranty?
If so I would suggest you take it to Apple for them to check the hardware.

You could first try:
Boot into Recovery HD Partition and run "Repair Disk"
Note: Backup first with Time Machine or whatever backup program you use.
1. Reboot the MBP and hold down Command+R keys when you hear the startup tone
2. Select "Recovery HD" from the Boot Menu
3. Choose "Disk Utility" from the Mac OS X Utilities screen
4. Click the hard drive, click the "First Aid" tab, and then click "Repair Disk"
After Repair Disk has run successfully, boot OS X as normal.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4