Hi Pat,

Your Mavericks system does sound like it has some niggling problems. If you
find that problems persist you might be best to boot into Recovery Mode and
reinstall Mavericks.
Or get a consultant (I recommend Daniel) to have a look at it for you.

Apple ships each Mac with a lot of language files, which do take up space.
Unless you are a polyglot, you'll never use these files. Or miss them when
they're gone. You can Install "monolingual"  a free utility that removes
unneeded languages. Just click the languages you want to remove and click the
Remove button.
DON'T delete English!  - I keep English (Australia) & English United States)
 The scan takes longer than you would expect, there are a huge amount of
languages installed by default.
<https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7758/monolingual>

I will be extremely busy from tomorrow for the next four weeks, so will not be
able to give as much assistance on WAMUG. I will check WAMUG messages when
possible & answer if I am available.

Sent from Ronni's iPad

>>> Pat