Sev

On 27/02/2014, at 1:32 PM, Severin Crisp wrote:

> My wife’s website, which I manage, has among other things number of streaming 
> movies running for up to 9mins.  I have recently noticed that there is a vast 
> difference between the startup time on different browsers.  In summary I 
> note:-
>       Safari fine
>       Firefox very slow
>       Chrome  very very slow indeed
>       IE (running Windows XP with Fusion)     fine!
> The movies (mostly) are in .mov format, frame size 400 x 300, audio mono and 
> compressed, video compression H264 and saved to fast start for streaming with 
> compressed header.   

There are lots of web sites which will give advice on this topic, for example:
 
     http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_videos.asp  or

     http://www.tutorialspoint.com/html/html_embed_multimedia.htm

Looking at a few of them tells you that, like many things, it is not as simple 
as it might seem, and the best way to go depends on your target audience, how 
much effort you want to put in, and so on.

Your code uses a hyperlink, albeit inside some javascript. The first site above 
says that this approach depends on helper applications - I wonder whether 
everyone would have such an application on their computer, or they may have 
different ones from what you have.

Anyway, you could convert your files to a different format (MP4 might be worth 
a go) and see if that makes a difference. But always remember that with 
anything a bit complex in a web page, what you see may not be what the rest of 
the world sees.

I would have tried it on my computer, but our connection speed is so slow out 
here that we get tired of waiting for anything to happen with movie files.

Geoff
----------------------
Kaye and Geoff
[email protected]





-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>