Hi Severin & Neil,

I have played Jenny's 'brilliant' - The Stream - on my iPad, and on my MacBook 
Pro in both Safari & Firefox.
All three can play in 'Full Screen' Neil... once the Quicktime Movie opens & 
begins download - click the arrows (at the bottom right, in the timeline - 
play/pause control).

Severin... the great soundtrack brought back many happy memories; and I need to 
find some time to search through my old vinyl records.
I have the original 1978 soundtrack of  'The War Of The Worlds'... I purchased 
as soon as it was released ;-)

Cheers,
Ronni

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)

On 27 Feb 2014, at 3:33 pm, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks for the comments, Neil.  
> I can include the player controller to give access to full screen mode.  
> I am loath to involve another server, no positive reason, just a wish to be 
> as self-contained as possible.  
> On 27 Feb 2014, at 3:04 pm, Neil Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Hi Sev,
>> 
>> I watch a lot of streaming video on a variety of sites. My first impressions:
>> 
>> In either firefox or safari, clicking the QT preview image opens another 
>> small window to play the movie in – why do this, why not embed whatever 
>> player you use directly in the page?
>> With either browser there is no option to “full-screen” the video – I always 
>> “full-screen any video I think is worth watching!
>> A lot of quite large websites use either YouTube or Vimeo to present videos. 
>> The video is hosted on their website and you embed the YouTube or Vimeo 
>> player in your website (eg where the QT preview icon is currently. Some 
>> examples (which all allow expanding the video to full-screen):
>> The vine (Fairfax media) often uses YouTube: 
>> <http://www.thevine.com.au/video>
>> Kickstarter often includes both own hosted and Vimeo video, eg 
>> <https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1171695627/polar-pen-both-tool-and-toy-pen-stylus-made-from-m>
>>  has the main video self-hosted but has a Vimeo video on the pen features 
>> further down the page.
>> 
>> Just my 2c worth. I must admit, after enjoying nice streaming full-screen 
>> video, I find small video windows very unsatisfying ;o)
>> 
>> 
>> One of the things I did when designing a few webpages was to note any 
>> sites/pages that did something in a way I particularly liked and then check 
>> out the page code to see how they were doing it – picked up a few good ideas 
>> that way  ;o)
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Cheers
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Neil
>> -- 
>> Neil R. Houghton
>> Albany, Western Australia
>> Tel: +61 8 9841 6063
>> Email: [email protected]
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> on 27/2/14 13:32, Severin Crisp at [email protected] wrote:
>> 
>>> My wife’s website, which I manage, has among other things number of 
>>> streaming movies running for up to 9mins.  I have recently noticed that 
>>> there is a vast difference between the startup time on different browsers.  
>>> In summary I note:-
>>> Safari fine
>>> Firefox very slow
>>> Chrome very very slow indeed
>>> IE (running Windows XP with Fusion) fine!
>>> The movies (mostly) are in .mov format, frame size 400 x 300, audio mono 
>>> and compressed, video compression H264 and saved to fast start for 
>>> streaming with compressed header.   
>>>  
>>> The latest one, which has prompted this query, can be seen at:-
>>> http://www.jennycrisp.com.au/stream.html
>>> 
>>> I would appreciate comments on the general strategy of posting streaming 
>>> movies within a webpage. 
>>> Severin Crisp
>>> ____________________________________________________
>>> 
>>>             Assoc Prof R Severin Crisp, FAIP, FIP, CPhys
>>> 15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia
>>>                   ph (08) 9842 1950 ( Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
>>>                            mail to: [email protected]
>>> ____________________________________________________
>>> 

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>