On 21 Mar 2014, at 6:18 pm, Diana & Graham Stevens <diag...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Hi Daniel
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, I shall try to work it out when I am compos
> mentis again. If I fail I shall get you to sort it.
>
> Graham and I have never bought equipment from the on-line Apple Store before,
> we have always used retailers, though I have purchased from Apps and iTunes
> on my iPad. This morning I used Graham's 'new' ID to make my purchase and in
> doing so worked out what went wrong yesterday, I should have used the email
> address and not our names.
>
> I still don't understand why Apple's reply went to the wrong email address
> and why the account now appears to belong to me rather than both of us. I
> will need to sort this as I intend to swap all my mailing lists to my main
> box and give up using that address.

I had a similar experience on Saturday when buying something from the Apple
Shop at Garden City. The chap in the blue T-shirt talked me into downloading
the Apple Store App onto my iPhone, claiming it would make life easier for
future visits and I wouldn't even have to bother anyone when making a purchase.
The App downloaded fine, but when it came to the point of actually buying
something, it insisted I change my iTunes Store password (the password I had
just used to download it!). When I started down that road and got into the
"twenty questions" nonsense we called it quits and just used the store system
anyway. When I arrived home I checked everything and found my current password
to be still intact.

There's an underlying software issue at play here, not an Apple ID issue. I
only hope they sort it out. If I'm able to use their App, fine, but I'm not
going to lose any sleep over it. I just hope they're not causing people to rush
around changing IDs and passwords needlessly.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948