Thanks Peter

Connecting the ethernet cable had automatically set ethernet to the top of the 
list.  I hadn’t looked at the gear icon to realize it also set the “service 
order” parameter.  

I think I had both ethernet and WiFi working in the past when I had a Belkin 
modem/router with lower WiFi specs.  (Perhaps 2.4GHz only?)

Cheers
Alan

On 24 Nov 2014, at 7:55 am, Peter Hinchliffe <[email protected]> wrote:

> 
>> On 21 Nov 2014, at 7:33 pm, Alan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> My home network has been wholly WiFi for nearly two years.  Works well 
>> enough, but I’m looking for improvement.  Network consists of 2 iMacs, iPad, 
>> iPhone and Apple TV to a Time Capsule base (and to an iiNet Bob Lite NBN 
>> FTTH modem).  (Phone not used much on network.)   I seem to get noticeable 
>> wait-time on Apple TV and AirDrop due to Time Machine backups.
>> 
>> I just plugged in a Cat6 Ethernet patch cable from one iMac to the Time 
>> Capsule.   All seems to work OK.   Apple - System Preferences - Networks 
>> show both WiFi and Ethernet are now connected.   Are there any settings or 
>> preferences that need to be changed?  Can the iMac be forced to use the 
>> Ethernet connection for Time Machine backups to “free-up” the WiFi?  Or is 
>> this not relevant?
>> 
> 
> This simplest and most obvious approach is simply to turn WiFi off on your 
> iMac. This has to force it to use ethernet. If for some reason you find it 
> necessary to have both WiFi and Ethernet running at the same time, go to 
> Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network. Click on the little Gear icon at 
> the bottom of the Services list at he left of the window. Choose Set Service 
> Order... from the menu and move ethernet to the top of the list, if it's not 
> there already. Click OK and close Network Preferences. It's not possible to 
> specify any particular network protocol, at the user level anyway, for any 
> particular activity. Your Mac will simply use the first one it finds. If, for 
> some reason, it can't use the ethernet connection (cable unplugged, for 
> example) it will default to the next available, ie, WiFi. By making sure that 
> ethernet is at the top of the list as described above, you are doing all you 
> can to "force the issue".
> 
> BTW - it's advisable whenever possible to have at least one computer 
> hardwired to your Time Capsule, since WiFi is not 100% reliable for a variety 
> of reasons. You've obviously had a good run until now, but you are now 
> enjoying the optimal configuration. 
> 
> Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
> FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
> Perth, Western Australia
> Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>