Hi Ronni,

My only explanation for doing what I did with the trimmed video is: google told 
me so :) 

A QT trimmed mp4 file is saved in QT as a .mov file and looking on the web 
-even today - there are workarounds to get that .mov file back to mp4 but they 
all seem to require a converter of some sort. That’s when I sought WAMUG’s help.

But as things turned out, uploading the .mov file to You Tube was not problem 
at all. 

I’ve a feeling that there’s a fundamental problem with what I did with QT 
though and I suspect it’s going to be Ronni and not Google that’s going to put 
me on the straight and narrow. 

Thanks for all those links - all saved to Evernote for future reference. 

Cheers,

Graham 


> On 4 Dec 2014, at 9:34 pm, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> 
> On 4 Dec 2014, at 7:42 pm, Graham Rabe <[email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> 
>> Thanks a lot Ronni. 
> You're welcome Graham,
> 
>> I thought I had to get the .mov file back to MP4 format before uploading to 
>> You Tube and didn't know how to do that without a converter of some sort. 
> 
> I understood from you original post that you had converted the .avi video to 
> MP4, then used QuickTime to just trim the MP4 video file? 
> Then you wanted advice - how to upload the MP4 video file to YouTube...?
> Why did you re-convert (or export, or save) the edited MP4 to .mov format?
> 
>> Anyway, I followed your instructions and the .mov files uploaded fine to You 
>> Tube. 
>> 
>> But while I've got you, is there a converter app that you would recommend?
> 
> I've always used and recommended all versions of Toast Titanium. 
> Capture - Copy - Convert - Share - Burn
> Roxio have very reasonable 'Upgrade price' when a new version is released.
> The current version is Toast Titanium 12.
> <http://www.roxio.com.au/enu/products/toast/titanium/#tab=1 
> <http://www.roxio.com.au/enu/products/toast/titanium/#tab=1>>
> Toast Titanium 12 - Convert Video
> 
> How to Convert Video
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhy0SjqDgzY 
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhy0SjqDgzY>
> 
> <http://www.roxio.com.au/enu/products/toast/titanium/#tab=3 
> <http://www.roxio.com.au/enu/products/toast/titanium/#tab=3>>
> 
> I still keep QuickTime Pro installed on my Macs as well.
> 
> Cheers,
> Ronni
> 
> Sent from Ronni's iPad 4
> 
>> Thanks again.
>> 
>> Cheers, Graham
>> 
>> Sent from my iPad
>> 
>> On 4 Dec 2014, at 4:51 pm, Ronni Brown <[email protected] 
>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>> 
>>> Hi Graham,
>>> 
>>> Note:
>>> It’s stated by YouTube that MP4 is the best format to use. 
>>> It provides better quality than FLV and is not as heavy as AVI. 
>>> WMV HD format seems to lose its quality while 3GP and SWF resolutions are 
>>> too small. 
>>> 
>>> How to Load Video on YouTube
>>> 
>>> To upload videos on YouTube, you must first be a member of the website. 
>>> Once you’ve successfully set up your account, you should be ready to 
>>> upload. 
>>> 
>>> Here’s how:
>>> 
>>> 1.  Sign into YouTube.
>>> 2. Click the Upload button at the top of the page.
>>> 3. Before you start uploading the video you can chose the video privacy 
>>> settings.
>>> 4. Select the video you’d like to upload from your computer. 
>>> You can also record a video from your webcam, create a video slideshow or 
>>> import a video from Google+.
>>> 5. As the video is uploading you can edit both the basic information and 
>>> the advanced settings of the video, and decide if you want to notify 
>>> subscribers (if you untick this option no communication will be shared with 
>>> your subscribers). 
>>> Partners will also be able to adjust their Monetisation settings.
>>> 6. Click Publish to finish uploading a public video to YouTube. 
>>> If you set the video privacy setting to Private or Unlisted, just click 
>>> Done to finish the upload or click Share to privately share your video.
>>> 7. If you haven’t clicked Publish, your video won’t be viewable by other 
>>> people. You can always publish your video at a later time in your Video 
>>> Manager.
>>> 8. Once the upload is completed we will send you an email to notify you 
>>> that your video is done uploading and processing. You can then forward that 
>>> email to friends or family for easy sharing.
>>> 
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ronni
>>> 
>>> 13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
>>> 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
>>> 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
>>> 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
>>> 
>>> 
>>>> On 4 Dec 2014, at 4:10 pm, Graham Rabe <[email protected] 
>>>> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> I’ve used Handbrake to convert avi. file to mp4 format and then used 
>>>> Quicktime to trim mp4 video clip but now I need to upload that mov. file 
>>>> to You Tube and need a conversion program (I think). 
>>>> 
>>>> Any recommendations for easy to use, safe and reasonably priced (or 
>>>> preferably free) software?
>>>> 
>>>> I’ll be using the software on iMac and MB air - all with latest Yosemite.
>>>> 
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> 
>>>> Graham 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>