> On 5 Dec 2014, at 8:44 am, Graham Rabe <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Hi Ronni,
Hi Graham,
> My only explanation for doing what I did with the trimmed video is: google
> told me so :)
>
> A QT trimmed mp4 file is saved in QT as a .mov file and looking on the web
> -even today - there are workarounds to get that .mov file back to mp4 but
> they all seem to require a converter of some sort. That’s when I sought
> WAMUG’s help.
No need to as my experiment below will hopefully explain.
>
> But as things turned out, uploading the .mov file to You Tube was not problem
> at all.
>
> I’ve a feeling that there’s a fundamental problem with what I did with QT
> though and I suspect it’s going to be Ronni and not Google that’s going to
> put me on the straight and narrow.
Graham, No fundamental problem... but I hope I can put you on the straight and
narrow ;-))
As I have never used Quicktime Player 10 for Editing, Trimming or Converting
video, as I use Toast Titanium and Quicktime Player 7 PRO.
Even though I DIDN'T really have the time :(( ... perhaps I should do an
experiment to see what & why people have mentioned that QT 10 changes a MP4
Format & Resolution.
My Experiment follows -
Quicktime 10 Experiment on MP4 video - Trim then Export and Maintain Original
Format & Resolution
The original .mp4 Video File used in my experiment details are:
Kind: MPEG-4 Movie
Size: 45.8MB
Dimensions: 1280 x 720
Codecs: H.264, AAC
Duration: 01:56
Audio Channels: 2
I first duplicated the original MP4 video file and carried out the experiment
on the duplicated copy.
1. Open the MP4 video in Quicktime 10
2. Edit > Trim
click & drag the bars at each end to select the part of the video I want
to keep
3. Click Trim
4. Then File > Export
5. Chose 720p From the Export Menu - because (720p: MPEG video 7.5 Mbit/s
H.264, up to 1280 x 720 resolution) which is the same details as my original
video file
NOTE: QT 10 on export does add the .mov extension
6. After completion of Export, I checked the details of the Exported / trimmed
.mov video file against my original .mp4 video file details
File > Get Info (Command-I)
The QT 10 Trim - Exported .mov Video File details are:
Kind: Quicktime movie
Size: 45.8MB (notice the size remains the same even though
the movie is a bit shorter)
Dimensions: 1280 x 720
Codecs: H.264, AAC
Duration: 01:54 (yep, I only shortened the original by 0:02 ;-)
Conclusion:
Even though Quicktime 10 Trim - exported with a .mov extension the actual video
file is a MPEG-4 Movie with the same dimensions and codecs as the original
video file.
Graham, I have done a one page document "Quicktime Player 10 - Export Movies to
other Formats & Resolutions" in Pages and exported as a PDF.
It explains - Export a movie for specific iOS devices, Apple TVs, resolutions,
or bit rates.
File > Export, then choose an option from the Export menu.
The menu shows the maximum possible resolutions and data rates available for
your movie. The exact resolution and data rates of an exported movie depend on
the original movie. etc...
If you feel the document would be helpful to you, I could send it to you
"Offlist". Post back to the WAMUG list if you want the PDF.
Cheers,
Ronni
13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
OS X 10.10 Yosemite
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>