Hi Stephen,

Is this an attachment ... do you see a paperclip (which indicates an
attachment) If so does the image display on Quick Look?
click on the paperclip arrow ↓ Quick Look

If you continue to have problems, there is another possibility: it might be the
image server’s fault.

Whenever you see these images in an HTML message, you are really viewing a web
page, which means each image has a web address associated with it. If the
address is incorrect, or if the image has been pulled from the server, you will
see a blue question mark box because Mail cannot load the image.
There is nothing you can do about this short of contacting the person or
company who sent you the message to see if they can correct it.

Have you checked the Raw Source of the problem messages?

Other scenarios:
1. Mail is not finding any link to an image.
2.Mail is not finding a properly encoded image attachment.
The next step will see if there is an improperly encoded message.
3. To see the raw message, in Mail select the message and then View > Message >
Raw Source.
The image (and any other attachment) will show as a very large block of random
characters.

Also if the problematic messages are not the original but second-hand -
forwarded messages.
There is another downside to HTML mail. It is difficult to forward HTML
messages while preserving their content--especially when they include links to
external files. Those links are easily broken when the messages are forwarded.
The blue question mark placeholder can be the result of a broken link to a
standard graphics or animation file.