Hi again Severin,

I’ve managed to locate a ‘lost’ folder in my backups with the instructions how
to change the DVD player option from looking at an Internal optical drive to a
External optical drive - Apple Inc had encoded a check into OS X to verify
whether the attached USB optical drive is in fact an Apple USB SuperDrive. If
not, ‘tell the user that DVD Player will not play nice’ which translated in OS
X speak is - “A valid DVD drive could not be found [-70012]”.

 "How to Get An External Optical Drive Working With DVD Player Application”.
As I already had an Apple USB SuperDrive before purchasing my MacBook Air, I
did not need to use the instructions how to modify the DVDPlayback framework.
If you do want to give it a try to modify the DVDPlayback framework so DVD
Player 'will/might' recognise your external DVD player.
I can email you the documentation off-list.
Just make sure before you do any modification, you backup(copy) your existing
DVDPlayback framework file according to the instructions in the documentation.

In the Update 25 July 2015  - you can download an already modified version of
the DVDPlayback framework file.
which already has Replaced all the words “internal” with “external” within the
Hexadecimal language DVDPlayback framework file.

If you find it doesn’t work for your external DVD player, just replace the
modified file by placing the unmodified file you ‘previously Saved’ onto the
same location and let it overwrite the modified file.