Greetings

My 88yo father-in-law has a 2008 Macbook. Its battery died and he went with my brother-in-law to a northern suburbs mac dealer.

He was sold a second hand Macbook as a replacement. Today, we picked this up, and he said it seemed slow compared to the old one - he has created some PPT photo shows with hi-res photos - file size ~250Mb. I know he should reduce the size of his photos, but the learning curve is high for an 88yo.

The Feb 2008 MB 4.1 has these specs:

 * OS10.6.3
 * Intel Core Duo 2.1Ghz
 * 4Gb 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

The $400 late 2009 replacement has:

 * OS10.12.1
 * Intel Core Duo 2.26Ghz
 * 2Gb 1027Mhz DDR3 SDRAM

This doesn't seem like a good deal. The slight increase in CPU speed is offset by 50% of the RAM and a slow-down of the later OSX.

Maybe battery replacements are no longer available for the 2008 model, but I would have expected he would have been offered an improved model. We'll go back and talk to them.

Nevertheless, he's looking for a better machine, but it doesn't have to be the latest model. Does anyone have an older macbook which is surplus to requirements. Something later than 2010 for up to $1000?

I guess the other option is to try to find a RAM upgrade for the 2009 model he just bought.

Any help/advice welcomed.

Rob

--
Rob and Rita Phillips, Wanneroo