Hi Pat,

If you’ve got a Pre-Paid service,  you need to have some data allowance or
credit balance to connect.
If your balance is $0.00 you’ll need to purchase a Plus Pack, or recharge.
You can check your balance, recharge and purchase Plus Packs by using Telstra
24x7®App <https://www.telstra.com.au/my-account/telstra-24x7-app>

1. Have you tried a hard restart of  both iPhones?
2. Check in Settings > Network Selection - Telstra Mobile > Automatic is ON
(green)
3. Open your browser and go to <www.telstra.com.au
<http://www.telstra.com.au/>> or <www.google.com <http://www.google.com/>> to
test your internet connection

What model iPhones are they if you require more help?

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6