Hi,Neil,

I just spent several hours running through the various tests, especially the
ones found in “How to use Mac recovery mode” in Macworld UK.  Most of the
procedures did not change anything. The exception was Recovery mode (cmd+ R)
which caused the monitor to go pale grey.  Diagnostics did not report anything.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any backup. There may be a few items that are in 2
small external disks. I did have a 4GB disk used for backup, but it got knocked
off the desk and won’t work now.

I will leave it there and hand it over to the experts.  I don’t want to be
driving around tomorrow as it sounds like the weather is going to be dreadful,
so more waiting.

Many thanks for your advice. It has been much appreciated.

Cheers,
Pat