Hi Robin, thanks and I do agree with you here. But when the device was
purchased, the previous owner had erased the device (both of them) and so to do
that, they necessarily have to sign out of their Apple account to do the erase.
But I assume it is still possible the device remains associated with the
previous owner’s Apple iD. I have asked them to check so will wait to see.

If I have to go down the path of option 1 below, how do I even confirm
ownership of the device without a verifiable receipt? The iPhone i have a
transaction with eBay seller, the iPad I don’t. I presume I could get a
statement from her as she was the original purchaser.

Regards

Peter.