Gator is FREE software that fills in forms and remembers
passwords with NO TYPING.  Plus Gator comes with $100 in
coupons just for trying it!  Fast download. Grab the Gator.
http://click.topica.com/aaaavlb1dhdKb1tdRUa/Gator

Perhaps it's my impending return to school, but I am hankering for some
solid debate. Not that the usual name calling isn't fun, but I think, for
the time being, I KNOW on what side of the political game most of the
frequent posters fall. In an effort to toss things up a bit, I'd like to
cast a debate in a different form.

As a final in a US military history course I took, the essay question was
essentially this: write a letter to President Clinton from the Chairman of
the Joint Chiefs outlining what could be done to mend fences, explaining
military culture and its impact on certain decisions and opinions, etc. The
most interesting thing of it was that, by nature of the structure of the
question, personal opinion had to be left out. I strive for a similar
structure here.

President Smith has just taken office. He is moderately liberal, or perhaps
liberally moderate, with of course the requisite dash of conservative
leanings. He has fine relations with the military, is respectful of the work
done and sacrifices made on behalf of the country. The good relationship is
generally mutual, the military is as pleased with the new President as
possible.

A year or two goes by, the relationship stays positive. One day, the
President stands before the people and makes the following speech, the nub
of which is excerpted below:

'I cannot help but believe that this country, no matter the issue, is done
better by justice than not. That any question that is answered with equality
and liberty will be answered correctly. Equally true, in any area where we
do not follow these truths, we shall never truly succeed. Following in the
footsteps of Harry Truman, who said that nevermore would the US military
fight as a force segregated by color, so too shall it be true that nevermore
will the US military fight as a force segregated by gender - in any unit,
any job, or any capacity. I have full faith and confidence in my military
leadership to see this directive followed to its most successful end.'

The question that is put to the forum, then, is how would this best be done?
No weasling, no disagreeing with the policy, it's a done deal. It's not
about whether one agrees with the decision - it's far more compelling if you
DISAGREE to have to think about how to make it work - in fact, those are
some of the opinions I am most interested to hear. That's part of why I
chose this issue - because I know that the opinions do not fall timidly, the
positions are strongly held. It is, therefore, a challenge. Call it an issue
simulation.

Enjoy the day,
Jill

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!