Am Dienstag, 19. September 2006 22:05 schrieb Christian Ohm:
> I tested waf a bit and it seems to work well. I had some of those "can't
> link lots of {[]w9r" at the beginning, but that didn't occur later (at
> the latest with your second version).
When you run waf with --nocache it doesn't seem to produce those crappy
LIB_XXX configs. Seems like the caching engine sometimes (randomly?) confuses
the LIB_...s or LIBPATH_... and stores a whole structure in them. I bet when
I report that now it will be fixed next week or even tomorrow. ;)

That's what I love about waf and Thomas. I told on the mailinglist that the
current way of configuration confuses me and a week later he had
reimplemented the whole config (with help and tips from others of course). :)

> Speedwise, my first test was blindingly fast compared to the make build,
> but that was because '-O2 -g' was missing from the cflags. With those
> options, both are almost the same speed.
The build is probably limited by the speed of the compiler.
But the configuration is blindingly fast.

> I noticed two things:
>
> 1. On the first run, waf scans all source files (for dependencies), that
> takes almost 20 seconds here with no output or indication on what's
> happening.
Forgot to tell you about it. Sorry. (And I will tell Thomas that he should
give a progress info.)

> 2. The waf script contains the whole wafadmin directory as a base64
> encoded tar.bz2 archive. That means updates to waf will exchange the
> whole base64 part, as a text diff, and not only the parts that actually
> changed. We might want to have waf-light and the wafadmin directory in
> svn and just make the waf script for releases, that'd solve that
> problem.
Yes, but as I found it easier to send the complete waf script to this
mailinglist, I just did it this way.

> No showstoppers in my eyes, merely small annoyances.
>
> Oh, and the -p option gives an incentive to eliminate the warnings :)
When you have a look at the first waf script I sent, then you'll see that the
warnings don't appear there... He changed it from capturing the stdout/stderr
to not do it because of bugs in Python when there is lots of output (in this
case when there are lots of warnings).

--Dennis