I tested waf a bit and it seems to work well. I had some of those "can't
link lots of {[]w9r" at the beginning, but that didn't occur later (at
the latest with your second version).

Speedwise, my first test was blindingly fast compared to the make build,
but that was because '-O2 -g' was missing from the cflags. With those
options, both are almost the same speed.

I noticed two things:

1. On the first run, waf scans all source files (for dependencies), that
takes almost 20 seconds here with no output or indication on what's
happening.

2. The waf script contains the whole wafadmin directory as a base64
encoded tar.bz2 archive. That means updates to waf will exchange the
whole base64 part, as a text diff, and not only the parts that actually
changed. We might want to have waf-light and the wafadmin directory in
svn and just make the waf script for releases, that'd solve that
problem.

No showstoppers in my eyes, merely small annoyances.

Oh, and the -p option gives an incentive to eliminate the warnings :)

--
BOFH excuse #156:

Zombie processes haunting the computer