Am Donnerstag, 28. September 2006 17:57 schrieb Christian Ohm:
> On Thursday, 28 September 2006 at  0:31, Dennis Schridde wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 28. September 2006 00:18 schrieb Dennis Schridde:
> > > From the waf mailinglist. :)
> > >
> > > ---
> > >
> > > An innocent-looking method in Node.py was causing a
> > > massive slowdown[...]
> > >
> > > Others improvements have been made too, and here are
> > > the results so far for the 5050 tasks benchmark (on my
> > > laptop and for targets already built)
> > > * 93 seconds two weeks ago
> > > * 30 seconds two days ago
> > > *  7 seconds right now
> >
> > Therefore now another update.
>
> Did some testing. Results:
>
>  - A (hopefully attached) patch for waf so the patch to Warzone isn't
>    needed anymore.
The patch should not be needed.
Instead you should set conf.env['EXT_BISON_H'] = '.h'
But this is currently broken for Bison. :(
(Flex works, but we don't need it. *grml*)
I think I told Thomas some time ago, but apparently he forgot.
I just filed in a BR.

>  - Speed seems better than before.
>    - 0.9.1:       1:17
>    - current svn: 1:07
>    - make:        0:57
>    I guess the make build is faster because of different options to gcc,
>    though I tried to use the same. Or perhaps something else in the
>    wscript file.  On my last test, waf and make were roughly the same
>    speed.
Is that when compiling? Or with allready built targets?

>  - Sometimes there's some kind of deadlock when using -j3 (I haven't
>    noticed it without yet, but I usually use -j3), the last file shown
>    is src/aiexperience.c. Then waf hangs and even ctrl-C doesn't end it,
>    I have to use ctrl-\ to kill waf. I guess I have to investigate that
>    further if it's not a know problem. (Using the current svn waf)
I didn't try -j3 yet. I'll do that in the future.

>  - The working of the waf script is a bit tricky: It carries the
>    wafadmin directory attached to it, and puts that into ~/.waf-x.y.z,
>    but only if this directory doesn't exist yet. So when modifying it
>    you have to delete ~/.waf-x.y.z first, else you get the old version
>    and thus the modifications are not used.
That's intended.
You can export WAFDIR to /waf/svn/version/wafadmin or use ./waf --nocache

>  - Is there an easy way to use several build directories with different
>    compiler settings? With the autostuff I can do for example:
>       mkdir debug; cd debug
>       ../configure --enable-debug
>       make
>       cd ..
>       mkdir release; cd release
>       ../configure
>       make
>       mkdir cpp; cd cpp
>       ../configure CC="g++ -fpermissive"
>       make
>    and I can build a debug version, a release version and test g++
>    compilation, all from the same source tree. Is that possible with
>    waf? It seems blddir is defined in wscript without a way to override
>    it.
The intention of the author was not to change the builddir.
Instead you should use variants. Have a look at the build and configure
functions of the attached wscript.
Thomas proposed an easier way to handle variants as soon as he has an overview
of how developers expect them to behave.

--Dennis