Subject: Fwd: Re: [Warzone-dev] Draft for a mail to the FSF
Date: Mittwoch, 27. September 2006 22:52
From: Dennis Schridde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to you on behalf of the Warzone Resurrection Project
(http://www.wz2100.net/, http://gna.org/projects/warzone/), since we have
questions regarding the license under which the source and data of the game
Warzone 2100 were released. (I'll repeat the most important ones at the end
again.)

The game Warzone 2100 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warzone_2100) was
developed by Pumpkin Studios and published by Eidos in 1999. After ten
patches to the game, Pumpkin Studios ceased development on Warzone 2100,
and was disbanded by Eidos in early 2000. Pumpkin Studios then reformed
into Pivotal Games (http://www.pivotalgames.com/).

The fan community produced two further patches. Feeling that they could not
realize their plans for the game without access to the source code, the
community started petitioning Pumpkin Studios to release the source code.

On December 6, 2004 Alex McLean, Lead Developer of the game, uploaded an
archive file to a community member's FTP server.  This archive, downloadable
at http://www.3ddownloads.com/liberatedgames/Warzone2100.rar,
contains the source code to the game and several utilities (as far as they
could release it), and a copy of the game stripped of only the music (which
were CD audio tracks in the commercial release) and most of the larger
video sequences telling the story of the single player campaign. In
addition to that, a gpl.txt (version 2) and a readme.txt were included.
I'll quote the readme.txt in full here:

Warzone 2100 Source & Data

1) These source and data files are provided as is with no guarantees.

2) No assistance or support will be offered or given.

3) Everything you will require to make a build of the game should be here.
If it isn't, you'll have to improvise(*).

4) None of us here at Pivotal Games are in a position to be able to offer
any help with making this work.

5) This source code is released under the terms of the GNU Public License.
Please be sure to read the entirety of this license but the summary is that
you're free to do what you want with the source subject to making the full
source code freely available in the event of the distribution of new
binaries.

Finally, the primary motivation for this release is for entertainment and
educational purposes. On the subject of the latter, don't be surprised to
see some pretty gnarly old-school C code in here; the game was a classic
but large areas of the code aren't pretty; OO design and C++ evangelists
beware!  We haven't spent any time cleaning the code or making if pretty -
what you see is what you're getting, warts n' all.

Thankyou to Jonathan Kemp of Eidos Europe for permitting the release.
Thanks also to Frank Lamboy for assistance with the release and for
campaigning along with many many others over the years for the source to be
made available. The correspondence, online petitions and persistence made
this possible. We were constantly amazed at the community support for
Warzone even after all this time; it's nice to be able to give something
back, assuming you can get it to compile...;-)

6th December 2004
Alex M - ex Pumpkin Studios (Eidos)

(*) Except FMV and music...
(With FMV he refers to Full Motion Video.)

The archive was put together by Alex McLean (as far as we know) without
spending a lot of time on it, since they were busy with their newer games
(thus also the refusal of any help or support), they basically just put
everything together and added the gpl.txt and the readme.txt files.

Now this was a bit unlucky. The readme.txt states in 1) "These source and
data files are provided as is with no guarantees", but 5) says "This source
code is released under the terms of the GNU Public License." As the source
archive contains both source code and data, this seems to indicate that
only the source was released under the GPL. This leaves the question about
the data. Is "as is with no guarantees" some kind of license itself (ie.
can we just assume an implicit "... and no restrictions" after that)?

Parts of the game mechanics are implemented using a scripting language, with
script files loaded and interpreted by the game code written in C; those
scripts are in the data directory, but, depending on the point of view,
they could be seen as source as well. What is legaly correct?

The release was intended as a present to the fan community, so we
believe that there was no intention of keeping anything closed, except
what was necessary because of third party rights. There were
third party rights to parts of the code (movie codec, sound and
networking), and to the music sound track, both of which were omitted.
The movie files were also omitted, although we believe this was
because they thought we could not play them (legally or otherwise)
without the source to the movie codec.

A previous debian-legal discussion
(http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-legal@lists.debian.org/msg30913.html)
resulted in "probably everything is GPL, but you have to ask the author to
be sure." Unfortunately, until now, none of our inquiries was answered.
Some of those were done by Frank Lamboy aka Virgil (mentioned in the
readme.txt, who had contact with Pumpkin Studios since the release of the
game and was involved in the creation of the ten patches to the game, as well
as being crucial to the petitions for the source), but even he received no
answer.

Now he has said
(http://www.realtimestrategies.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15347#15
347, last sentence) that "the legal rights to the WZ Cam content were
turned-over by Eidos to the ex-Pumpkins and they inturn have liberated it".
They have not answered any past inquiries.
Eidos was bought by SCi, and at least Jonathan Kemp isn't employed there
anymore, so it might be quite difficult to reach someone knowledgeable on
this matter.

Questions:

1. Does the readme.txt give us any indication on what license the data was
released under, ie. does "as is with no guarantees" give us any permissions
(like an implicit "with no restrictions", since they don't mention any)?

2. Is there a way to legally distribute the game data without further
word from the copyright holders?

3. How can we best ensure that the possible legal ambiguity of the license
does not threaten or opens up to lawsuits on the project and anyone who
distributes our builds of the game?

4. Does it make sense to try to contact Eidos on this matter?

keep the other members updated; if you do not want your answer publicised,
please state so clearly.

Thanks for your help, and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate
to contact me. I, along with a very active Warzone 2100 community, await any
response you are able to offer and am thankful for any advice you can
 provide.

Yours faithfully,
Dennis Schridde
For the Warzone Resurrection Project