The biggest time sink is probably the fact that we use immediate mode
OpenGL. Converting to retained mode OpenGL, where everything is
calculated beforehand, stored in buffer objects and texture atlases,
and sent to the graphics card on level load, will yield a significant
speed boost. This is basically what every modern 3d game does today.

However! Immediate mode has one big advantage over retained mode - it
is much simpler to make changes on the fly. If we are serious about
implementing the built-in map editor, we need to think carefully about
how retained mode OpenGL is implemented because recalculating the
graphics state and sending it to the graphics card for each change may
cause unacceptable slowdowns.

An example of both modes in one small program can be found in
https://gna.org/projects/buckyball project.

 - Per