Per Inge Mathisen schreef:
> *) autoconf, raw makefiles, waf, cmake, xcode and msvc. (Yes, this is
> not good state of affairs.)

I agree that this is not good at all. In fact I think it'd be good if we
would start dropping some of them. Or replacing some of them with more
generic/portable systems (e.g. if cmake would actually work on Windows I
would prefer it above autoconf right away).

For the purpose of invoking compilers I personally like Jam
(implementation by Boost:
http://www.boost.org/tools/build/jam_src/index.html ). It can for
example invoke GCC, MSVC, Borland C++, darwin, and quite some more
compilers, natively with generic command line options.

I'm not really sure whether you can check for met dependencies (like
automake/autoconf do) with this.

The general idea, however, is that we most likely would benefit from
having only one build system. As I said cmake seems nice, but isn't as
portable as is advertised (either that or I'm doing something very
stupid, since it basically tells me _all_ dependencies are not met).

--
Giel