Am Montag, 3. März 2008 08:38:06 schrieb Per Inge Mathisen:
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:54 AM, Dennis Schridde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  I see, we are going to use SQLite for stats now?
>
> That was the idea.
>
> >  When and where was that decided and by whom?
>
> Apparently, another defective decision process. This is my fault. It
> was "only" discussed by several parties on IRC. I agree it should have
> been brought up on this list as well before going ahead with it.
>
> >  What are the implications and benefits?
>
> We need to make editing the stats easier, and the way to do that is to
> put them back into a database. This way you can use a database editing
> tool (several exist, ask Giel) to modify it, and eventually we will
> want our own custom tool (the proposed "Warzone studio" application).
This is the one I use: http://sqliteman.com/
Crossplatform, too.

> In any case, it is IMHO not harder to edit the SQL files by hand, than
> the CSV files, since the SQL files have the fields explained in the
> same file, which outweighs the stricter syntax.
>
> I think we will want to keep only the SQL text files in the
> repository, though. The database binary can either be created on the
> fly on startup, or generated by an external tool ("Warzone studio" for
> example). Version control of a frequently changed binary blob is a
> nightmarish idea.
I agree with that.
Will be a little bit harder to edit (either edit the queries, or import into
DB, use GUI tool to edit, export the queries), but easier to keep track of.

Another question: Why does that DB have the need-lock property? Sounds like
reviving RCS or something...

--Dennis