Am Sonntag, 24. August 2008 22:55:48 schrieb Per Inge Mathisen:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Giel van Schijndel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  * Change an ASSERT that checks calloc's return value into an if() block
> > (we can also run out of memory on non-debug builds...)
>
> I am also rather mystified by this. When we fail to allocate memory
> and do not handle it gently, the next thing that happens is inevitably
> a crash when the null pointer is accessed. There is no reason to
> ensure that a crash happens with a call to abort() - if we are not
> going to attempt recovery, we just need to ensure that something is
> written to the log in order to debug it. Adding a five line
> conditional to every memory allocation is rather pointless and just
> bloats the code.
*Maybe* a real crash can corrupt something or is not always handled correctly?

Aside of that I think we could add a out-of-memory "handler", or some more
generic way of handling the most common errors.
Why? So we can inform the user in a nicer manner than "application X was
terminated in an unusual way". (Console output now, maybe error popup windows
later.)

--Devurandom