Thanks for the reply Bret. I hadn't installed Firewatir yet and it
seems commonwatir is only installed with that, not with Safariwatir.
However, after installing both, the methods do work, but at least in
irb, even after setting Watir::Browser.default = "safari',
Watir::Browser.new continues to launch Firefox?