browser.contains_text("total") is matching against the string
"total".

If you looking check the value of the variable named total, then you
would do this: browser.contains_text("#{total}").

Also, the .contains_text method has been deprecated in favor
of .text.include?  See
http://wtr.rubyforge.org/rdoc/1.6.5/classes/Watir/PageContainer.html#M000192

orde