Thank you very much for the feedback. So, to summarize what I think I am hearing:
1. Webdriver does not support Safari 2. Webdriver does support mobile browser testing - but just barely (as .click is not even working well at this point) 3. WatirSafari "works" but has been out of development for at least a year. It's not really clear on where or how it will start to break down. I did look up web browser statistics on W3C site: ( http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp ) and it looks like Safari is only around 3% of all browser users which is just slightly above Opera. I was surprised the usage stats were so low. So...now what...? I've spent the last few days thinking that as much as I didn't want to switch to Selenium, that switching just might be the responsible thing to do for my company. I've been reading/ researching more about Selenium and how to get started. I have some useful resources now...but I am worried about the "ramp up time". I am only considering Selenium RC (not the ide). With Watir, I can continue writing scripts today. With Selenium, it will be slow going to set up the environment, and learning how to structure the test data (page objects), read all the preliminary material and then sheepishly start to write my first test scripts (I would work in Java). It seems painful, but if in the end, it's going to be a better investment, better go ahead and jump in now, right? Can anyone tell me something that would stop me from pursuing Selenium and keep me feeling confident about having chosen Watir? (Please!) Is there anything that Watir can do that Selenium can't? At this point, even though I'm a personal fan of Watir and adore (and depend) on the community that comes with it...I'm feeling like Watir is starting to fall behind and Selenium is starting to become the more dominant tool choice. As much as I personally want to select Watir as the tool of choice for my company...it seems to not hold up against Selenium when I discuss this with management. (Most other groups within the company are using some combination of tools that include Selenium) Hoping to hear a reason to stay with Watir for my work project, Lauren -- Before posting, please read http://watir.com/support. In short: search before you ask, be nice. [email protected] http://groups.google.com/group/watir-general [email protected]
