"Splash is an old client but looked like it was quite split from the server
architecture.
What am I missing?"

That its almost certainly not compatible with the current Wave sever code.

Back when it was Google wave there was 4-5 clients, including prototype
mobile ones.
All died pretty soon after the transfer to Apache.

I admit I havnt checked on Splash recently though, if its had a update in
the past year to make it compatible again I wouldn't know.