Jimmy Tarrant, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Van Alstyne was making a
point by using "Nip it in the bud. Nip it! Nip it! Nip it!" as spoken by Don
Knotts in his role as Barney Fife. I had never thought of Barney as a
philosopher before Bro. Jimmy called him one.
So, when I got home from church, I consulted the World Wide Web and was amazed
at what I found. Fife was a philosopher and continues to have a strong
following of all types. There are YouTube cuts on Barney, forums for discussion
about Barney, blogs about Barney and much more. There is even an entry on
Barney at the Wikipedia Web site, the online, unofficial encyclapedia.
I've been down several branches of memory lane, via the Internet, reading about
Barney and his antics.
I was reminded of the episode where Barney tried reciting the Preamble to the
Constitution. "We the pee...pul; We the pee-pul!" I think he went through the
entire Preamble without remembering a word of it. And, he was allowed only one
bullet to keep in his pocket because he had so many accidental shootings.
Other sayings that entertained us:
"Well, it's a whim," he said to Sheriff Andy. "Are you going to question a
whim? You question a whim and you take the fun right out of it!"
"Well, today's eight-year-olds are tomorrow's teenagers. I say this calls for
action and now. Nip it in the bud. First sign of youngsters going wrong, you've
got to nip it in the bud."
"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old
people's home and wax the steps?"
"All I'm saying is that there are some things beyond the ken of mortal man that
shouldn't be tampered with. We don't know everything, Andy. There's plenty
going on right now in the Twilight Zone that we don't know anything about and I
think we ought to stay clear."
I agree with Bro. Jimmy. Barney Fife was a philosopher.

written by Joyce Milson

Vivian Jenkins

 www.youravon.com/vivianjenkins

I firmly believe that in every situation, no matter how difficult, God extends
grace greater than the hardship, and strength and peace of mind that can lead
us to a place higher than where we were before.
-Andy Griffith