Yes. I think you are probably right Dan. Not as scary as yours though - once it has been shut down it stays that way.

Cutting the power as I said forces the shutdown - and so far it has never re-started of it's own accord!

Peter

At 10:52 25/01/2006, you wrote:

Has the machine only started this since a Windows Update?  I've experienced
something similar after a hotfix was installed

As a side note, I once repaired a machine that would power itself back up
when it felt like it... it was shutdown all day then suddenly powered up in
the workshop... needless to say I was never alone while working on it (it
scared me lol)... the problem turned out to be with the BIOS, but
unfortunately I can't remember the precise setting I altered to fix it

Just my [rambling] thoughts

Dan

From: Peter MacGregor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 25 January 2006 10:42
To: wdvltalk@lists.wdvl.com
Subject: RE: [wdvltalk] OT: PC Shutdown problems

I'll follow those up MArk.

I'm using Win XP with SP2 installed.

When I click on "Turn Off Computer" it goes
through the full sequence - saving settings etc.
- and does actually switch off - for about two
seconds then powers itself on again and does a
full reboot! Only solution currently is to stand
and wait with finger on power button for those
two seconds and throw the switch to cut power!

Maybe the machines are taking over?

Regards

Peter MacGregor

http://e-newsletters.internet.com/discussionlists.html/
>        Send Your Posts To: wdvltalk@lists.wdvl.com
>To change subscription settings, add a password or view the web interface:
>http://intm-dl.sparklist.com/read/?forum=wdvltalk
>
>________________  http://www.wdvl.com  _______________________
>
>You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>To unsubscribe via postal mail, please contact us at:
>Jupitermedia Corp.
>Attn: Discussion List Management
>475 Park Avenue South
>New York, NY 10016
>
>Please include the email address which you have been contacted with.
>

>--

____ . The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM . ____
To Join wdvltalk, Send An Email To:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] or
use the web interface
http://e-newsletters.internet.com/discussionlists.html/

You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: unknown lmsubst tag argument:
''

http://www.eset.com