Picking up something on Tim said, in my experience I've never needed
any CALs whatsoever. I've always had teh server serving some data
access or whatever and all connections to those services have either
been web access or similar generic calls from locally-run apps -
because I've never had any actual specific user with accounts log in
to the server and have specific user stuff on there you don't need
CALs.

Even if your VB app is using specific user logons, you may still not
need CALs because you're only transferring data to a central store.

You will need CALs if you're storing user-specific information on the
server and local user accounts require authentication with the server
and retrieve settings (like a domain logon).

So yeah, work out exactly how, what and why the VB app is connecting
to the server, how that relates to user logos and then call M$.

MOU