On 2011-01-02 09:21:29 -0800, Guido van Rossum said:
Alice hasn't posted a link to her rewrite of PEP 444 in a while. AFAICT it's this: https://github.com/GothAlice/wsgi2/blob/master/pep444.textile . I find it a bit disturbing that the "official" copy of PEP 444 (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0444/ ) hasn't been updated. This is confusing for occasional observers (like myself), since the python.org copy looks quite dead. It also is not in line with the PEP workflow as written down in PEP 1 (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#pep-work-flow ).

I am unsure of the policy behind updating a PEP on the website from a partial (with glaring holes) source. In my rewrite there are several sections that need to be fleshed out before I would consider pushing it up-stream.

I'm tentative that way.  ;)

It is not reasonable to demand a discussion on IRC. In fact I think it is one of the worst media for arriving agreement over a standard. IRC doesn't have public logs for those who didn't participate in real time (apparently intentionally so); it is pretty hostile to people who don't use it regularly (I am one of those); it doesn't work well for people in different timezones. Blog comments are not much better (they are archived, but as a medium they get too much spam and are too scattered to be worth tracking down for other participants); the web-sig mailing list is the preferred forum.

Understood.

If you are going to quote stuff from earlier in the thread and respond to it using "you", please don't strip the attributions (or add them if your mailer doesn't). Also it's best to keep the person you address in the To: line of the message (or add them back if your mailer doesn't automatically do this).

I do forget that not all newsreaders are the same, and that while mine may make quoted text relate to the threading of the messages, not all do. Apologies. Unfortunately, I subscribe and post using a Usenet news reader, so e-mail functionality is not included. :/

In order to fix some obvious flaws due to Python 3's different treatment of bytes and text, a much less ambitious update was produced as PEP 3333, and labeled WSGI 1.0.1. Although this is still marked as draft, I personally think of it as accepted; it is really just a very small set of clarifications and disambiguations of PEP 333, specifically for the benefit of interoperability between WSGI 1.0 apps and servers across the Python 2 / Python 3 boundary.

PEP 3333 is an excellent solution that should be quick to adopt. My PEP 444 rewrite takes a fundamentally different approach in an attempt to simplify and solve broader problems than pure compatibility.

In the mean time, Alice (understandably) has looked for other forums where she got more feedback -- I may not like IRC, but I can see how the general apathy on the web-sig is not exactly encouraging. (This is a general problem with Python -- we always complain that there aren't enough people to do the work, but when someone shows up and offers to do some work, they don't get much support. On python-dev we've acknowledged this and are trying to get better about it.)

I have recieved valuable input from a co-conspirator on IRC (who is on the other side of the world from me) and mentioning PEP 444 on other mailing lists (webpy, cherrypy, pylons) has garnered some interesting discussion.

First, it would be great if Alice could prepare a version of her draft in the format required for PEPs, and submit it to the PEP editors.

I will make this a priority.

(If I were wrong about this, and Alice had an ax to grind, that would change things, and it might even make sense to have multiple competing proposals, each hopeful to once earn the WSGI 2.0 moniker. But I hope not.)

Despite being a framework author, I am distinctly attempting to tackle PEP 444 from an independant viewpoint. I want a workable solution for the majority-not nessicarily /everybody/-not something that caters only for solution A or solution B. The HTTP/1.1 server I've written is, ATM, merely a platform from which to brainstorm ideas for PEP 444, and to check, using code, that 444 is viable.

Alice, I hope you can live with these recommendations. While it may place a burden on you to convert your draft to ReST and to have to maintain it that way, I think there is a much better chance of an open community discussion leading to a widely accepted standard if you start following the PEP rules set out in PEP 1 (and a few other low-numbered PEPs).

I'll give the low-numbered PEPs a thurough read through and reformat the rewrite using ReST; I knew I was going to have to do this anyway at some point.

        - Alice