On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 11:16:51 AM UTC-4, Louis Amon wrote:

> Well maybe I’m just biased then.
>
> I think of web2py as THE framework for startups, and in that regard an
> easy-to-use user management system seems to me like a priority.
>
> With all due respect to Support Team members across the globe, using two
> browsers isn’t something you should expect from them.

I would think if someone is qualified to provide support for a product,
it's not too much to ask that they be able to handle keeping two browsers
open (certainly seems easier that what they are already doing, which is
logging in and out of their accounts).

Actually, you can make it even easier. There are extensions for Chrome
<https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/multilogin/nccllfnllopfpcbjdgjdlfmomnfgnnbk?hl=en>

and Firefox <https://getmultifox.com/> that allow separate sessions in
separate tabs. So now all you need is two separate tabs. This is actually
superior to the functionality you seek, as it allows you to impersonate
multiple users simultaneously (one in each tab) without sharing their
permissions.

Chrome and Firefox also allow you to set up separate profiles (which have
different sessions), and Internet Explorer has a "New Session" option that
opens a window with a new session.

> Maybe it’s important to « impersonate » exactly a user, being being able
> to do it ergonomically is just as -if not more- important.
>
> I agree with Massimo’s take on this : there should be an option that
> allows you to keep groups & permissions or not when impersonating.

It's not necessarily a problem to add an option, but there are trade-offs
when deciding to add new functionality. The code becomes more complex, and
then the new functionality must be maintained in perpetuity. When we want
to make some other alteration or re-factor, we now have to make sure this
new functionality continues to work. If the use case is rare or if there is
an easy workaround, it might not be worth the effort and added complexity.
Whether it's worth it in this case, I don't know -- I suppose it depends on
the complexity of the required code.

Anthony