Look on the side of Ractive.js, it is a simple smaller way to get SPA into
web2py without all the overhead that come from Angular.js (which is a
framework)

Massimo has made an work and progress app to "eventually" replace the
welcome app (I quotted eventually because until know it was only
experiment, but I think Massimo's would like to pick-up Ractive.js and
integrate it as it is the case with jQuery for instance).

The app I am talking about is available here :
https://github.com/mdipierro/w3

I think it is a good start for using Ractive.js inside web2py and try to
implement a SPA style app with web2py relegated to the backend...

:)

Richard