1.  I use git to install web2py on both my dev, staging and production
2.  Same as #1.
3.  Take a look at the AppConfig module.  You can store your database
connect string info there.  Your appconfig text file will be different on
your two environments.
4.  Not sure I'm understanding what you're getting at here.

For me, I install web2py and pydal using git.
I then create a mercurial repo (on bitbucket) of my application directory
under web2py/applications.  In my repo I have a default (development) and a
stable (production) branch.  On my dev machines I push to default and on my
production machines I pull from stable.  I use the bitbucket interface to
merge my default branch into stable whenever I want to update my production

Not saying this is best practice (far from it), but it works fine in our
2-developer shop.

Hope this helps.