On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 3:08:42 PM UTC-7, Jim S wrote:
> 1.  I use git to install web2py on both my dev, staging and production
> environments.
> 2.  Same as #1.
> 3.  Take a look at the AppConfig module.  You can store your database
> connect string info there.  Your appconfig text file will be different on
> your two environments.

> 4.  Not sure I'm understanding what you're getting at here.
> For me, I install web2py and pydal using git.
> I then create a mercurial repo (on bitbucket) of my application directory
> under web2py/applications.  In my repo I have a default (development) and a
> stable (production) branch.  On my dev machines I push to default and on my
> production machines I pull from stable.  I use the bitbucket interface to
> merge my default branch into stable whenever I want to update my production
> environments.

Based on discussions in other contexts, avoid checking in to your rep the
appconfig text file by that name.  Instead, make a copy of it as
"appconfig-production" or "appconfig-dev_machine1" or some such, and check
that in.   That way, you won't clobber the copy in use when you update, but
you will be able to track it.