If necessary,  update pydal
Explanation:  It sounds like an instance of iteritems is not being
converted to python 3 - I think that happens in pydal._compat.py.

If that is not the problem, continue...

Check value of:  type(c.keywords)
Check value of:  print(list(c.keywords))

If  type(c.keywords)  is map, then surely this should work:
response.meta.keywords =  ', '.join( list( c.keywords)  )

My idea would be to convert c.keywords to a simple string,  then
concatenate it to response.meta.keywords afterwards.

General info:   response.meta is a Storage object which is really just a
special web2py dict.
In other words,  this:  response.meta.keywords = 'my key word string'
would be equivalent to this:  response.meta['keywords'] = 'my key word
string'