This is a very good point indeed and seems like a great opportunity to
bring our game up to a higher level.

It seems to me that if the scaffolding app (welcome) is copyright
Massimo and owned by him and/or Web2py then he/web2py have the legal
right to do with it what they will.

If we feel like making Massimo work some more and he is willing (or
the Web2py legal entity) then we could do something like this:

Create Application [                       ]
Target License       [                       ] Drop Down or cool
search function

Where the "Target License" could come from the list at
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical or some other trusted
source of software licenses. So when I am doing an app for my
commercial client he chooses MIT cause he knows he can resell it and
so on and when I create his app appname/LICENSE gets populated with
the content at
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

In addition to keeping lawyers happy about the target application by
forcing indecisive and/or procrastinating developers (is this not the
one requirement for being Pythonic?) to decide on an "official"
license for their application up front it also gives the client, the
developer and anyone following in their footsteps clear legal footing
which in turns allows for a greater adoption of Web2py applications
and the code included in the application.

I think that providing for a mechanism that gives a high level of
clarity right at the initial creation of an application will go a long
way towards resolving this issue for legal entities and in the minds
of developers as well.