To summarize:
- a python framework licensed under a pure GPLv2 would not allow for a
closed source application development, so Massimo's exception is
crucial for such projects
- changing the license from the current GPLv2 with en exception to the
LGPL brings no improvement
- changing from GPLv2 with an exception to BSD/MIT is not an option.

I also see that the license for the Welcome application has been added
in the default branch (public domain license). That's great, thanks. I
also warmly appreciate Massimo's statements in this thread in regards
to the possibility of individual licensing, should the need arise.

So, it seems that my original questions and our customer's concerns in
regards to licensing were more than valid. I would suggest creating a
separate and prominent LICENSE page with the exact information,
preferably looked over by an experienced lawyer.

If that's possible, of course. I do understand that this entire project
depends on it's community and a lot of work is done here on a purely
volunteer basis.

I would like to emphasise again, our only concern is about the web2py
applications, not the web2py itself. It is not our wish to fork web2py
under any license, nor has anyone approached us with such an idea.

Warm regards to all