On Friday, July 8, 2011 3:25:45 AM UTC-4, cjrh wrote:

> On Monday, January 10, 2011 6:36:18 AM UTC+2, Anthony wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday, January 9, 2011 1:24:02 AM UTC-5, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>>>
>>>  You guys really just got to learn to do your own thing and not treating
>>> it like a crusade where you have to convert the world.
>>>

>> But that's exactly the problem -- web2py is trying to do its own thing,
>>

> ...so far so good...
>

>> and there is a vocal clique of "Pythonistas" who don't like that thing and
>> want to stop it.
>>

> ...and here we get it wrong.  Why should we *care* about this vocal
> clique?

Well, we probably shouldn't care too much, but that doesn't mean we
shouldn't care at all. Note, the unfounded criticisms are effectively
impugning both the technical and personal integrity of web2py's developers
and users, in very public forums. This can have negative professional (and
personal) consequences. If you have chosen to build an app with web2py and
your client, manager, or investor reads bad things about web2py, you may
lose their confidence and favor. So, occassional polite and professional
corrections may be appropriate, especially on purely factual
misunderstandings (rather than issues of opinion and taste).

> *Why* should we care how many users we have?

Again, this is not the most important thing, but the number of users is not
entirely without consequence either. Generally, more users will translate
into more expert contributors and volunteers, which will contribute to the
development of the framework and its ecosystem and to its long-term
sustainability (i.e., more features, better testing and performance, better
documentation, more plugins and applications, better support, more
third-party hosting and development tool support, etc.). In many cases, when
you select a framework, you want some confidence that it will still be
actively maintained several years hence, and that confidence will be
bolstered if there is a sizable and active community around it.

> The best, and IMO only real way to promote web2py is to facilitate the
> building of awesome websites.  That is the whole ball game, so let's focus
> on that.

Absolutely. :-)