On Jul 24, 2007, at 4:51 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

Hi Everyone,

With the release of GPLv3 and LGPLv3, I'd like to take a moment to discuss WebKit licensing. LGPLv3 includes some restrictions beyond the previous version that make it difficult to accept for many key contributors and users of WebKit, including Apple. Given this, we'd like to keep the project at LGPL 2.1, to make sure it can be used in all the ways it is used today.

To that end we'd like to do two things:

1) We will continue to accept only code that's licensed under a BSD- style (no advertising clause) license, or LGPL 2.1, or other compatible license. We don't want to accept code that's LGPL 3 only, as that would make the whole project LGPL 3.

Sounds good to me.  I'd prefer BSD-style licensing whenever possible.

2) We'd like to change the copyright notices from their current mix of "LGPL 2 or any later version" and "LGPL 2.1 or any later version" to just LGPL 2.1, to make this clear. This one is maybe more debatable, so I'd like to know if anyone objects. It would prevent incorporating WebKit code into LGPL 3 projects, and would require sign-off from all copyright holders to ever change to a different LGPL version in the future (in case the FSF came out with a version 3.1 or 4 that solved some of the problems with v3).

Does not matter to me as long as I can continue to use the version of the LGPL I am using today.

Chris