On Aug 17, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Brent Fulgham wrote:

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Brian Barnes<gga...@charter.net> wrote:

icu*** (might not be possible, google says these are unicode tools)

The wtf/unicode things need these libraries.  I'm not sure how wise it
would be to remove them, however this is the largest single external
dependency you will have to deal with.

It may be possible to replace ICU use with MultiByteToWideChar/ WideCharToMultiByte and similar functions from Win32.

pthreadVC2 (based on previous email should not be needed)

I'd like to get rid of this, too.

May be possible to replace this with native Win32 threading and synchronization calls. I think some work may have been done here already.

3) Compile all within VS (no makes or external calls) to eliminate any
additional dependencies on other tools

You can already do this.  You only need cygwin to easily handle
retrieving the sources, and I think the Google/Chromium guys have been
working to remove this dependency.

This one is harder, since JavaScriptCore uses bash, make, perl, and bison (at least) from cygwin. See the JavaScriptCoreGenerated vcproj, build-generated-files.sh, DerivedSources.make.
I agree that it would be great to remove this dependency.

-Brent