On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Dirk Pranke <dpra...@chromium.org> wrote:

> As to the trailing whitespace issue, I'm actually with you on this
> one; I've never seen that mentioned or considered as a coding style
> guideline before this project, and am continually getting tripped up
> by it on Chromium's presubmit hooks. Why do we think that this
> particular rule is a good one? I much prefer just using 'diff -b' :)
>
> -- Dirk
>
> PS. Special thanks to anyone who can tell me how to configure Vim,
> Emacs, Visual Studio, and XCode how to automatically strip those
> spaces so that I don't get tripped up by this ...

Speaking as another voice from the newcomer camp, I'd actually much prefer
if we could have this particular part of the style guide (stripping of
line-end whitespace) somehow automated with the submit process.
Inadvertently adding such space is way too easy, and having to manually
remove it (even when using some sort of editor script, which one may forget
to run) seems a waste of time for something that should be easy to automate.