On Wednesday 2013-01-16 18:25 -0800, Darin Adler wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2013, at 5:46 PM, Elliott Sprehn <espr...@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> > I've scoured the web and can't find any reference to anyone using it,
> > mention of it's usage on any pages and no other browser supports it.
>
> How much more common is use of the rest of the counters specification? I
> understand that counters is still a leading-edge feature that isn’t likely to
> be used much on the real web yet.
>
> The list-item counter is used in the very first example in the CSS Lists and
> Counters Module <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-lists/>. I don’t understand why
> you are so eager to throw it under the bus.
>
> > In terms of harm, it adds implementation complexity, especially when I want
> > to rewrite counters to be much simpler and faster.
> >
> > I'd like to go ahead with the removal and then we can bring this back if
> > developers show interest. Does that sound reasonable?
>
> If you really want to remove it, and all the other browser vendors agree,
> maybe you can get it removed from the CSS working draft.

For what it's worth, reimplementing Gecko's list numbering using
counters is something I'd like to do; it's just not so high on the
priority list these days.  (Our current list numbering code has a
bunch of weird bugs that our counter implementation does not have.
That said, I think implementing list numbering using counters might
require implementing the new 'counter-set' in addition to the
existing 'counter-increment' and 'counter-reset'.)

-David

--
π„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂
𝄒   Mozilla                           http://www.mozilla.org/   𝄂