On Apr 7, 2013, at 6:35 PM, Benjamin Poulain <benja...@webkit.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Dirk Schulze <k...@webkit.org> wrote:
> The recent request from Andreas to remove CSS Variables leads to the question
> if there are more features that are not maintained at the moment.
>
> I think it would be honest and transparent if we collect all features that
> are not maintained at the moment in a Wiki page. This would give us the
> chance to review each feature individually and we would still have the
> overview over all features in question. It also makes it a lot easier to plan
> with the available resources IMO.
>
> Sounds like a great idea: http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/UnmaintainedFeatureList

This is awesome. In addition to features and ports enabling them, it might be
useful to include an estimate of maintenance burden. In cases where
organizations are comfortable saying so, it might also be useful to express
short-term future interest in enabling the feature if they don't have it on
already.

 As we collect this information, I can imagine a few possible dispositions for
each feature:

- Make an effort to identify new maintainers quickly (e.g. for features that
are widely relied upon)
- Remove the feature (e.g. for features that no one has enabled, that no one
wants to enable soon, and that no one is willing to maintain)
- Keep the feature around for a while in hopes someone steps up

Other possible items to add (not sure of port status in all cases):
- HTML Parser (or have enough people touched it that we're ok at least for
bugfixing?)
- Subpixel layout
- Modules/mediasource (I believe this is MSE)
- Modules/mediastream (I believe this is WebRTC)

Regards,
Maciej