On Aug 21, 2013, at 2:04 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org> wrote:

> Separately, I'd like to know whether people liked the new format and it's
> worth my time making webkitpy adopt the new format.
>
> I personally didn't like the old format because it made the first line of
> each change log too long.  I'm also not a big fun of wrapping URLs in angle
> brackets.  It's also unclear to me what should happen when there are multiple
> Bugzilla URLs to list.

I think you mean you personally don’t like the *new* format? :)

I don’t like it either.  The line was too long, and I frequently list multiple
bug urls (a bugzilla and a radar).

I’ve had prepare-ChangeLog give me the new format and I simply ignored it and
used the old format instead.  I didn’t feel remotely bad about this as there
has never been 100% standardization on the format, anyways.

> But I hear the new format made git log --oneline much more readable so I can
> be convinced although I don't intend to use git for WebKit development in the
> foreseeable future myself.

I use git, and the old format doesn’t bother me.

I almost always care about the entire commit message, or at least the “TLDR;”
included after the bug descriptions and urls.

~Brady