Hi Alex,

> On Jan 4, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Alex Christensen <alex.christen...@flexsim.com>
> wrote:
>
> [...]  but I like to err on the more explicit side of coding. It is hard to
> say "does this make the code cleaner more than it removes useful
> information?" or "will this cause problems for other developers?" with a
> style guideline.

The problem is that those declarations aren't really doing what you think they
are; we are simply engaging in 'type theater'.

The annotations indicate what the author thought the resulting type of the RHS
expression would be, or perhaps were at one time. But they are only showing
what we are asking the compiler to coerce the result into. I would argue that
the number of times we really want to coerce the result of an expression to
something new are relatively rare, and could be handled be the new 'type'
syntax, or explicit cast declarations.

-Brent