> On Aug 28, 2017, at 8:34 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> Wherever possible, we are going to want to convert file-static functions
>> into private C++ class member functions.
>
> I don't think we should make this change. It would mean that whenever
> the function signature changes, we'd have to modify the header file,
> which in turn triggers rebuild of every cpp file which includes that
> header file.

That was my first thought as well. In fact, I typically ask people to do the
opposite: Whenever a function does not require access to private members,
convert from a member function that has to be in the header file to a function
that is private to the source file.

More recently I have started doing something different for the many functions
that only have to be used on one place; I use lambdas to create nested
functions. This has a couple nice properties: The lambda shares access to
private members and anything else that the surrounding function has access to.
We have the option of capturing rather than passing arguments, which can be
clearer in some cases. It’s not quite as good as a separate function for visual
separation; the lambda is often mashed together with the rest of the
surrounding function.

— Darin