Can you elaborate on that, how exactly is e-mailing on first failure useful to
reviewers?

Getting rid of Bugzilla comments was one of the goals of EWS rewrite, based on
engineering feedback about noise in bugs and in e-mail, and I wholeheartedly
agree with this feedback. So I think that comments are generally undesirable.

Since I don't understand what your precise scenario is, I may be make straw man
arguments below, but here are some things that I think make the proposed
behavior unhelpful (add a comment on first failure, or when all EWSes pass).

1. EWS comments in Bugzilla are so annoying that some people take the radical
step of manually hiding them. EWS history is archived anyway, there is no need
to look into comments for it.

2. There are often many people CC'ed on the bug to whom EWS data is irrelevant
or even mysterious (e.g. reporters, web developers or non-reviewers). The noise
is a slight annoyance, discouraging further participation in the project.

3. I believe that for most reviewers, the mode of operation is one of the two:
(1) do it when pinged directly, or (2) go over the review queue when one has
the time. Getting EWS comments helps neither.

4. Commenting when all EWSes pass is not very practical - it's too often that
we have some stragglers that take days (or forever). I don't think that we can
make it reliable even if we start actively policing EWS responsiveness.

5. The reviewer likely wants to know the state of multiple EWSes if they are
going to wait for EWS at all. What exactly are they going to do after getting
an e-mail that one EWS failed?

6. More bugmail delays response, especially for active project members who are
CC'ed on a lot of bugs. I personally started reading bugmail more frequently
now, knowing that there is more signal and less noise.

I can see the usefulness in the somewhat unusual case of a super urgent patch.
We may want multiple people to watch it, so that members of CC list would go
and ask the patch author to update it with more urgency than e-mail allows for.
I think that opt-in is a better mechanism for that, so that people who opted in
would receive information about each EWS data point.

- Alexey