On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 5:13 PM Konstantin Tokarev <annu...@yandex.ru> wrote:

> 05.10.2020, 23:41, "Yusuke Suzuki" <ysuz...@apple.com>:
> > I think security component is special in terms of how to handle it already
> > (e.g. not posting a test with the patch etc.)
> > To me, handling non-security issues in GitHub and security issues in
> > Bugzilla is OK.
> > By nature, security issues are not open. Since one of our motivation of
> > moving to GitHub is openness for feedback collection, security issue in
> > Bugzilla does not matter for this motivation.
> > Ideally, handling both in GitHub is better. But to me, rather than
> > continuing using Bugzilla, using GitHub for non security issues sounds
> > improvement.
>
> To me it sounds as a huge step backwards. Asides from situation with security
> issues, it has other significant drawbacks in domain of issue triaging and
> management:
>
> 1. Sub-par support for linking issues to each other
>
> Traditional bug tracking systems (like Bugzilla or JIRA) have support of
> "related" or "linked" issues. Most important relations are
>
> * A depends on B (B blocks A) - blockers and umbrella issues
> * B is duplicate of A
> * A and B are related in other unspecified way
>
> All GitHub can offer here now is mentions (and, to some extent, milestones
> for case of "umbrella issues" [1]). Mention is created every time someone
> uses "#<number>" (e.g. "#123") in the text of issue or in the comment, where
> number is a sequential number of issue or pull request [2]. When comment is
> published in issue A which mentions issue B, there is a pseudo-comment added
> to B, and subscribers of B receive email notification.
>
> At first glance this naive approach seems to work, but
>
> * There is no easily visible list of relations: if you are not closely
> following all activity on A, to find all issues related to it you have to
> browse through all its (pseudo-)comments, which in some cases might be long.
> * There is no *stateful* list of relations: if A was believed to have common
> source with B, but then it was discovered they are not related, you cannot
> delete relationship between A and B because there is no relationship, just a
> set of comments.
> * "#<number>" is not a safe reference format. Sometimes users' comments may
> have other data in "#<number>" format with a different meaning than
> references to GitHub issues. For example, may the force be with you if
> someone pastes gdb or lldb backtrace into comment without escaping it into
> markdown raw text block (```). Also, GitHub parses mentions in git commit
> messages, so care must be taken to avoid any occurrences of "#<number>" with
> a meaning different from reference to issue number.

Yeah, this is a pretty significant functional regression to me. I use
bug dependencies all the time (e.g.
https://bugs.webkit.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=148695&hide_resolved=1)
and not having this capability will significantly hinder my ability to
track & triage some bugs.

> 3. Sub-par attachments
> ------------------------------
>
> Traditional bug trackers allow attaching files to issue. GitHub goes further
> and allows to attach files to every comment. Enjoy the progress -  now you
> can look for attached test cases and proposed patches through all comment
> feed, instead of having them in one place at the top.
>
> Also, on test cases. You probably like this feature of Bugzilla when you can
> attach self-contained HTML file to the issue and then simply open it by URL
> in any browser including your build of WebKit to try it out. Forget this -
> GitHub simply forbids HTML or JS attachments (without wrapping them in
> archive):
>
>     "We don’t support that file type. with a GIF, JPEG, JPG, PNG, DOCX, GZ,
> LOG, PDF, PPTX, TXT, XLSX or ZIP."
>
> And yes, take care not to use tar.xz or tar.bz2 or any other unapproved
> archive type.
>
> But you can attach funny cat picture to your comment and it will be displayed
> inline :)

This is another massive functional regression. I open test cases on
Bugzilla without downloading all the time, not to mention that it's a
great way to test iOS devices as well. Not being able to do that would
significantly reduce my productivity.

- R. Niwa